In high school baseball today…
• Houghton plays Jeffers.
• Calumet goes to Iron Mountain.
• Hancock welcomes Ontonagon.
• L’Anse visits Lake Linden-Hubbell.
In softball today…
• Houghton visits Negaunee.
• Hancock welcomes Westwood.
• Voyages from Lake Linden-Hubbell to Gogebic.
• L’Anse goes to Ironwood.
• The Ontonagon Invitational will be played today.
Lake Linden-Hubbell Schools have announced their 2022 Outstanding Athlete Awards.
Marcus Sutherland won the male athlete award. He earned 12 varsity letters in football, basketball, track and field, baseball and golf, and earned postseason honors in football and basketball. Marcus is also the salutatorian for the class of 2022 and plans to study mechanical or civil engineering at Michigan Tech.
Camaryn Crouch won the female athlete award. She received nine varsity letters in volleyball, basketball and track and field, with numerous postseason honors. She holds the Copper Mountain Conference pole vault record. Camaryn also plans to attend Michigan Tech, to major in psychology.
Slow Pitch Softball
Play begins tonight in the Copper Country Slow Pitch Softball League. Nine teams are competing this summer.
• At Hancock Driving Park, A and S Industrial/Loukus Tech face Downtowner Two at 6.15am, then face Auto Pro/Thermoanalytics at 7.30am.
• At Miller Memorial Field in Laurium, Koppers meets Pat’s Foods/Bucko’s at 6:15, then plays Sayen’s Auto/Coca Cola at 7:15.
The NHL Conference Semifinals continued yesterday.
In the Eastern Conference…
• The Lightning beat the Panthers 5-1. Tampa Bay leads the series 3-0.
• The Rangers beat the Hurricanes 3-1. Carolina leads this set 2-1.
In the Western Conference…
• The Oilers smothered the Flames 4-1. Edmonton takes a 2-1 lead in this series.
In the Eastern Conference tonight…
• The Lightning host the Panthers.
In the Western Conference tonight…
• The Blues host the Avalanche. Colorado leads the series 2-1.
Last night in the NBA Western Conference Finals, the Warriors beat the Mavericks 109-100. Golden State leads the series 3-0.
The Eastern Conference Finals continue tonight, as the Heat visit the Celtics. Miami leads this set 2-1.
The Detroit Tigers beat the Cleveland Guardians 4-2 yesterday. Alex Faedo pitched the sixth, allowed two runs and earned his first major league victory. Javier Báez homered.
The Tigers open a series in Minnesota tonight. Beau Brieske will pitch against Chris Archer. Coverage will begin at 7:20 a.m. on 99.3 The Lift.
The Milwaukee Brewers lost to the Washington Nationals 8-2 yesterday. Freddy Peralta gave up five runs over three innings and then left the game with a tight shoulder. He will be examined today, and is probably directed to the injured list.
The Crew hosts the San Diego Padres tonight. Adrian Houser will start against Nick Martinez.
Copper Country Horseshoe League play begins tonight…
• Dreamland Two takes on Dreamland One at Dreamland Bar.
• Ahmeek Fire Department is tending to the loading area at the Drift Inn.
• Hosts of Rocky’s Calumet One at Rocky’s Bar.
• Calumet Electronics plays Drift Inn at Ahmeek Park.
• Harter’s Party Store meets L and L at the Calumet dam.
• Bucko’s Party Shop faces 41 Lumber in Gipp Recreation Area.
Email sports news and results to [email protected]