The number of candidates considered to become the next director of CPS Energy has been reduced to 11 following an initial reduction made by the nomination committee of the board of directors.
They are looking to fill the seat in the northwest quadrant left vacant by Ed Kelley at the end of January.
Kelley, who sits on the nominating committee with board chairman Willis Mackey, told the San Antonio report that 29 people applied by the deadline, but three are not residents of Quadrant 1, a requirement . Three others withdrew their applications shortly after the deadline.
Over the next few weeks, the list will be reduced to one, which must first be approved by the full five-member board and then by the San Antonio City Council.
Kelley said he had not received any pressure from anyone to choose a particular candidate, and believes the process has been “very fair” so far.
“I think we have a really good roster of candidates,” Kelley said. “There are a number in my opinion that would make excellent directors.”
Here are the 11 final candidates:
- Jack Claude Cantrell – independent consultant
- Adelita Cantu – Associate Professor at the University of Texas at San Antonio Health Sciences Center
- David Garza – Federal Agent and CEO and Senior Consultant of Crystal Application Software Services
- Denise Hernandez – Vice President of Development at True Flavors
- Sarmad Kahn – Director of Strategic Procurement at NuStar Energy
- John Kelly – retired San Antonio District Texas Department of Transportation engineer
- A. David Marne – Founder and CEO of Half Priced Real Estate
- Prasad Padmanabhan – professor of finance at St. Mary’s University
- Francine Romero – Associate Professor and Chair of the Department of Public Administration at the University of Texas at San Antonio
- Dr Armistead Wellford – Cardiologist at the Texas Heart and Vascular Institute
Business and technology journalist Waylon Cunningham contributed to this report.